LBNL Yoga Club
Join the Yoga Club
- Join the Yoga Club by joining the Yoga Google Group! Email traffic is low, mainly class updates & special events.
- To Leave the Group: 1) use the above link, 2) click on the "person" icon in the top right corner, 3) select "Leave this Group".
Yoga Classes on the Hill
Open to all Levels. Drop-ins welcome for Monday and Friday paid classes. RSVP required for all free classes. RSVP emails are sent out on Thursdays for schedules of the following week.
- All classes are held at noon on the Hill. Paid classes are held Mondays and Fridays . Free classes are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. See the Calendar below.
- Please arrive early to change, pay the instructor, and set up the room and your station, so class can start on time.
- Comfortable clothes in which you can move, stretch, lie down.
- For Monday and Friday classes, $15 payment (cash or check) due to the instructor at the start of class. Blocks of classes ($60 for 5) can be purchased per instructor, for regular instructors only (not subs).
- Classes with Hanjing Huang, Ashley Dawn, Tom Swain, and Wes Ethel are free.
- Waiver - required for anyone new to yoga at the Lab. You can download one to bring with you, or fill one out when you arrive.
- Optional - your own yoga mat, water bottle, warm layer for cold days
- Yoga Mats, Blankets, Blocks, Straps
What to Expect
- Classes tend to involve stretching, balancing, strengthening, flow, and core work. Participants should modify poses for themselves as needed.
- Classes end with a few minutes of relaxation while lying down (savasana).
- After class, please spend a few minutes to help return the equipment and re-assemble the room into a meeting arrangement (chairs + 4 tables).
Yoga @ Potter Street
Casual yoga practices are held most Mondays and Wednesdays at Potter St. from 5:15-6:30pm. Please contact Helen Cademartori to be added to those calendar invites as they get scheduled. Classes at Potter Street are free.
Ashley Corri (Mondays) is a UC Berkeley graduate, certified yoga teacher, and massage therapist. She is passionate about sustainability, justice, and eastern philosophy. She teaches a Mindful Hatha Flow that encourages students to be curious, challenge themselves in an empowering way, and work toward that ever-evolving integration of mind, body, and heart. corrinovayoga.com
Suzanne Zuber (Fridays) has her 500 hour certification, and her alignment-based Yoga focuses on releasing tension, growing strong to the core, and becoming well-aligned in body, mind, and spirit. Her particular interest is self-treatment of our modern ‘hunched over’ posture and reversing wrist/ shoulder/ neck/ back and knee pain by retraining muscles and movement patterns. suzanneyoga.net
Languages spoken: English, German, French.
Hanjing Huang (free classes on Tuesdays) is a Berkeley Lab software engineer at the ALS. She is currently in the 200 hour Iyengar yoga teacher training program at Downtown Yoga in Pleasanton and will get certified in May 2020. Hanjing is a firm believer that everyone can benefit from yoga, and is dedicated to bring yoga affordable and accessible to all employees at work. She takes a hands-on approach in her classes where every student gets individual attention. Props will be used to accommodate all levels. Beginners welcome!
Due to space limit, RSVP is required for all free yoga classes to ensure that there is room for all attendees. Contact Hanjing to be added to a class RSVP invite.
Languages spoken: English, Chinese
Ashley Dawn (free classes on Wednesdays) recently came to LBL as an Administrator, previously working for UC Berkeley and non-profit arts organizations. She has been practicing yoga for decades, and is a certified Level 1,2, and prenatal yoga teacher by the International Kundalini Yoga Teachers Association (IKYTA). She borrows from various styles of yoga to teach classes that are geared towards strength and flexibility for people who spend too much time sitting, using breath to flow through movements and energize the body. Ashley has seen first hand the healing effects of doing yoga and is thrilled to offer more options for people on the hill to create a regular yoga practice for their health and ease of body regardless of their yoga experience, age, body type, or ability.
Ashley's class requires RSVP. Contact Hanjing to be added to a class RSVP invite.
Tom Swain (free class on Fridays) is a Berkeley Lab Mechanical Engineer at the ALS. He completed a 200 hour teacher training in 2011 at YogaWorks, and has been a yoga enthusiast since 1985. His teaching will draw from the Iyengar yoga influences of Rodney Yee. This means a primary attention to form, posture, and breath. He currently practices at CorePower in Walnut Creek.
Tom's class requires RSVP. Contact Hanjing to be added to a class RSVP invite.
Wes Bethel (occasional sub for free classes) is a Senior Scientist in the Computational Research Division. He completed his RYT200 with Ms. Maty Ezraty, founder of YogaWorks, and his background is a blend of the Iyengar, Ashtanga Vinyasa, Jivamukti, and Yin traditions. His classes and outlook on yoga reflect these traditions, where he combines the foundational base of precise alignment with elements of balance, focus, and breath. These intertwine to help provide a pathway for cultivating an awareness of yourself, others, and the world around you. Come join us to learn more, and to take an enjoyable break from your busy day!
Jewel Young Barrette (occasional sub) began yoga in 1998. She has her 500-RYT Yoga Teacher Training, is certified to teach Anusara Yoga Elements of alignment, and is a certified TRE (Trauma & Tension Release) Facilitator. Jewel combines heart opening and alignment focused yoga with sound healing, sprinkles of yoga philosophy, and lightheartedness. Her classes emphasize alignment, core strength, mindful flow, and deep breath work to create a deeper connection to the inner self. yogakula.com/jewel-young-barrette
Email: email@example.com | Venmo: Julie Barrette
Christie Pitko (occasional sub) has been certified since 2011, and since has earned her 500 hours training and taught over 2,000 yoga classes. With expertise in massage and meditation, her yoga teaching style is alignment-based, empowering, focused, yet playful. Christie taught yoga at LBNL from 2014-2019, and may return occasionally to sub. shiftingandinspired.com.
Chrissy Graham (occasional sub) has her 500 hour certification and nearly two decades of yoga study. Her classes focus on alignment, weight-bearing poses, dynamic movement, and the body awareness to stretch and strengthen safely. She brings philosophy, therapeutics, and a complete knowledge of nutrition and dietary wellness. youandthemat.com/chrissy-graham